How do I become an age-appropriate "Certified" AYSO Coach?
(Important Note - this page is no longer being maintained: check out the main Coach Page for up-to-date details.)
Thank you for volunteering to coach! National AYSO policy requires the following process for training all our volunteer coaches. Note only does this insure you as a volunteer in the program, it will also ensure you get the age-appropriate training to do a great job!
Step 1: Register as an AYSO Volunteer. This is required for all individuals, both new and returning, EVERY year.
- Sign up as a volunteer on our own San Mateo Website at www.aysosm.org/volunteer/. This will also direct you to create an eAYSO Volunteer record at www.eayso.org. Follow the on-screen instructions from there.
- For Youth Coach Volunteers: If you are under the age of 18, and wish to be an Assistant Coach (working with an Adult Coach Volunteer), then you must first get approval from the Regional Coach Administrator, Karn Johal. If approved, proceed to www.eayso.org - you will need to follow the link to "Register as a Youth Volunteer".
- Once you are accepted as a volunteer, make a note of your AYSO ID#. It is an 8 digit number on your record.
Step 2: Take online courses for Safe Haven Certification. (Note: If you are an existing volunteer, this must be done at least every two years - check your eAYSO certification record if you are not sure when you last took it.)
- Log in to the training site (www.aysotraining.org) with your AYSO ID# and your last name.
- Follow the on-screen directions to sign up for the online Safe Haven course. The class takes approximately 1 hour to complete, and there is a test at the end of the course. You must pass this test in order to volunteer.
- Note that there is also a CDC Concussion Awareness course that is very high quality. Certification in this is optional, but recommended,
Step 3: Take the age-appropriate Coach Certification Course for your Division. Each Coach Certification Course includes both a "classroom session" and a Field Training Session. Completion of both a classroom & a field session is required to complete the coach certification.
To complete the classroom, you have two options:
- Online: via the training site (www.aysotraining.org), with your AYSO ID# and your last name. Similar process to Safe Haven, but select the appropriate course under "Coach Training".
- In person: see the San Mateo AYSO Coach Training Class Schedule below and select the course that is for you.
To complete the field session you must attend in-person. To sign-up for in-person training:
- Go to www.eayso.org and login. On the right hand column, look for the link "Enroll to take a class".
- Select "2" as the section and "N" as the Area. Under Course, scroll down and select the appropriate
Age Level-Coach Class. Click on search. A list appears of classes offered in our Area over the next couple of months.
- Select a course and then click “Course Signup".
Other Important Notes on the Certification Training
- Please pre-register for classes at www.eAYSO.org. Remember to check back here on our local website, www.aysosm.org, the week before your class for locations
- Classroom + Field Session = Certification. Some AYSO Regions have a sign up for both the Classroom and Field session; in San Mateo, we have you sign up for the classroom, and then take attendance at one of our field sessions. You get your Age-Level Coach Certification in eAYSO when both sessions are complete.
- Coaching a new age-division? If your player is moving up this season, make sure you have the next age-Level Coach Certification completed as soon as possible.
- Coaching Intermediate/Advanced? These are scheduled and run at an Area level - check the www.area2n.org website for more details. You can also expand the search in www.eayso.org to register. These require U12 Certification as a pre-requisite. Intermediate & Advanced cannot, by AYSO policy, be completed in the same year.
- Returning Coach? Unlike Safe Haven, there is no need to re-certify: one you have the appropriate age-level certification you are set.
If you have any other questions, please contact your Regional Coach Administrator, Karn Johal.
Thanks again for volunteering and for spending the time to complete your training before the season!